The Keller Library and Burke Library (Directions & Hours) at Union Theological Seminary have had reciprocal borrowing privileges for time immemorial. The agreement has been in place for such a long time that the original paperwork has been lost to the dustbins of history. In 2004, Union transferred its library holdings to Columbia and Burke is now part of the Columbia University Library System. This makes using library a bit more complicated for the GTS community.
Here’s the information you’ll need for obtaining borrowing privileges at Burke Library. Please note that you may visit Burke with a valid GTS ID, but you will NOT be able to check out books without a Columbia University ID.
1. Make sure you have two forms of ID: a valid GTS ID card (get a sticker for the current semester) and a government issued ID.
2. Go to the Library Information Office (LIO) in Butler Library at Columbia University (Map, Directions & Hours)
3. Pay $20 by personal check, MasterCard, or Visa (no cash) to obtain a Columbia University ID (CU ID)
4. You are now able to borrow items from Burke Library.
-Circulating materials are charged for 28 days.
-The CU ID is valid for one year and can be renewed by students with valid GTS status. Lost IDs are replaced for a fee.
– Offsite Materials can be paged using a login account, called a UNI, distributed along with the CU ID.
-All overdue fines and lost book charges are the responsibility of the borrowing patron.
If you have any questions, leave a comment so everyone can see the answer.
Have fun on the 1 train!